Tuesday, February 28, 2006

WHY






So Politics are a crazy thing, but after reading Singletons post about Rwanda and then thinking about Darfur, i can't help but think "WHY"??? For the best of me I can't imagine why we as a nation have just sat back and allowed such a horrible thing to happen. I fear that I am getting bitter towards the 'system' that is set-up to protect the innocent, to provide justice where there is none. I don't want to be bitter, I want to remain hopeful that things can change for the better.


Hope


I am very excited because this Thursday we are having a huge benefit concert for Africa and the Invisible Children folks are going to be in town. It makes me excited because it give me hope. The situation in Uganda is beyond words but the fact that three 20somethings can go to Africa with a video camera and come back to the states and do what they have done...give me hope. I must confess that I have fallen victum to the "let government sort it all out" mindset and so i have focused 100% of my energy into lobbying politicians to use their power to protect and serve those in need. While I still believe this is a very important part of the story, i have since realized that it isn't the only part of the story. The bigger, more important part of the story is what WE, you and me, UBC, the baylor community, the waco community do for those in need. Not just in Africa but also in Waco. It really is up to us to stand in the gaps for those in need. If it means writing letters to Dubya, then we should write letters. If it means cooking a meal for someone in need, we should cook the meal. If it means giving some dude a 10 spot because he has, "run out of gas" then we give it away. Who are we to stand in judge those in need? We are all in need of something bigger to rescue us. We need to be rescued.

1 comment:

greenISgood said...

I'm glad you mentioned this blog on ur utter blog. This is a great resource. Also, I agree that we CAN make a difference (keep hope alive) and that both approaches are essential. I don't typically read Xianity Today but saw an interesting article by Rudy Carrasco with a similar theme about working both the systemic and practical sides.